Jim's Depository

this code is not yet written

I’m not releasing femtoblogger for a while. I am enjoying the luxury of changing things willy-nilly without worrying about converting deployed databases. I’m not even worrying about sometimes breaking the screens while I change code.

The road map looks thusly:

  • Develop in secret until the datastore schema seems relatively stable.
  • Move the svn library to googlecode and have a quiet release.
  • Maintain.

I added a browser type tally to the right hand column. I have very little idea why. It is another database query and update for each page load, but it doesn’t have significant impact on the performance. I’m still loading 280 front pages/second which is 5 times my available bandwidth. No worries yet.

I’m measuring my page load capacity with “openload”. There is a debian package and it is trivial to use. I like that in a tool. They can be found over at sourceforge, http://openwebload.sourceforge.net/

The ‘C’ key started to miss and got progressivly worse on my Powerbook G4 Aluminum 1.25GHz. First, go read about putting keycaps back on… http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=88106 … then it is time to take the bad keycap off.

  1. Depress the key in front of the bad key.
  2. Lift the bad key gently.
  3. Peek in.
  4. Get a knife point in between the white scissor piece and the keycap.
  5. Twist gently to pop the front of the keycap off.
  6. Repeat for the back of the keycap.
  7. Notice the size of the plunger top.
  8. Cut a dot of tape big enough to cover the plunger top, but small enough not to interfere with the scissors.
  9. Stick it to the back of the key.
  10. Reassemble.

With any kind of luck you have just repaired your keyboard and saved \$160. I think the plungers wear out a bit and no longer reach the key contacts. That extra bit of tape lets you push it down just a bit further.

Good luck. (I had to try twice. My dot was too big the first time and kept getting caught on the scissors and holding the key down.)

Because I used nanoblogger, but found it too large and complicated and there was already a reference to picoblogger in google.

When I write a new improved version in a new improved language I will call it attoblogger or perhaps zeptoblogger. Ain’t wikipedia grand?

I wonder if people will think femtoblogger has something to do with women?

Femtoblogger is my (Jim Studt) miniature blogging tool. I suppose there are reasons why I wrote it…

  • I wanted something with which to write notes to myself and the googlebots.
  • I loathe giant, complicated software packages written by the sort of people that use PHP or perl. They are a problem waiting to happen and a nuisance to manage.
  • As I think about better ways to approach web development I thought it would be nice to have a dataset collected and a ‘standard’ solution to compare it against.

It is day one of turning on femtoblogger. It supports searching, user accounts, access control, categories with filtering, and article editing. Things it will likely gain are:

  • ✓ Some sort of HTML in the articles.
  • ✓ Hypertext links would be nice. This is the web after all and the googlebot won’t like me if I don’t link.
  • I think I’d like to make a way to embed images in the articles. Maybe.
  • Some sort of invitation only policy for creating accounts. For now I rely on obscurity and will simply delete any idiots that show up.
  • Some sort of TODO or “Look at later” type list would be nice.
  • ✓ An RSS feed so I can notify myself when I have written something?
  • ✓ Comments, right, it should have comments.

It ended up taking about 70 lines of code for all the access control, but I added an “edit post” function. Now maybe I can leave femtoblogger alone and get back to the language.

AH, well ok. That first post looked like crap. I added 8 more lines and now insert <p> and <br> to preserve formatting of the text, a bit at least. I suppose I’ll make a post editor before I get back to the language.

Update: When I added HTML support I had to get rid of the “one newline turns into a <br>” rule. I had to fix all the existing entries. There is a lesson in there somewhere.

Femtoblogger is now functional. It is 619 lines of HTML and PHP plus a 281 line library for the recaptcha human detector. As usual, I spent too much time fiddling with extras before starting to use the software, for instance:

  • I added an account management system with captchas for a system that will only be used by me for the foreseeable future.
  • I added “Search” capability when I had two articles.
  • I added “Categories” then had to sort of stretch to come up with 3 categories.

I still have a gaping hole, there is no way to format or style the comments. I’ll have to think about how to do that without allowing all sorts of silly HTML attacks and ugliness, but it is time to get back to the “language” category and make some progress there.

Update: The language continues to be neglected, but HTML is supported with not silly attacks possible.